24 May 2015

Get Comfortable...

...Being uncomfortable. I heard that on the radio the other night listening to Klove.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

I remember when I was a teenager I would sit in the back of my truck and look up at the big clear sky on a summer night. My friend Jon and I would listen to music and ponder life and the future that was ahead of us. It sounds a little cliche-ish I know, but in small town America it really did happen. So many questions before us, so many unknowns out there.

I feel like that again.

The problem is that I am 37 and I have a wife and two boys. I am not 17 anymore but those same questions are before me again. I have no idea what the next few months are going to hold. Everything we have prepared for is up in the air, and we have a son we love very much who can't be with us right now. So many unknowns.

However, as cliche-ish as this might sound it also holds very true: We try to take it one day at a time.

Lamentations 3:22-23 says: "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 

The fact is that God gives us grace for today, not tomorrow. He give us our daily bread not weekly bread. His mercies are new every morning. A new day, and new fresh amount of grace.

We can't look ahead too far, or fear will overcome us. We can't worry about the adoption because it is beyond our control. And while we are do everything we can to keep Amanda healthy and get her a kidney transplant, we just can't spend too much time worrying about it. God has it taken care of.

At 17 life seemed a lot more simpler and I had a lot more hair. But at 37 I know Jesus a little bit more and it makes it a whole lot sweeter. And by God's grace when Amanda and I are 57 we will still be learning about Jesus together...

I think I might go listen to the radio for a while...