30 July 2015

I like you so very much not at all...

Confusing?

Not really if you think about it. Well, at least living in Ethiopia isn't.

There are moments over the last five years that Ethiopia has gotten to me in a not so good way. Times I have thrown up my hands, and just looked to the sky. On occassion (two to be exact) I have exited my vehicle in rage as someone nearly hit my family and blew it off with a smile. I can't decide if their lack of driving skills or their actual belief that it wasn't a big deal made me more angry. I am not proud of those moments mind you, but they happened.

I remember once stopping in the middle of a busy highway, getting out of my vehicle (ok, three times) and standing bewildered as a guy tried to roll an entire wheel across the road as cars flew by. I missed the car to my right and the concrete wall to my left by inches.

There have been many times our water did not work or our power was only producing half of it voltage. I remember one time there was no power, no water, the stores were out of bread and there was no gas to be found - I think I almost lost it. And don't get me started on the countless trips to the suk (store) to buy a variety of expensive but cheaply made items for our house or car. I have lost count on the number of thirty dollar door handles I have replaced. Melt down in 3...2...1...

But then there are those other times...

Moments like driving out in the country with the mountains in the distance and the cool clean air blowing in you face. Watching Jackson play with the local kids knowing there is not one ounce of racism in any of their hearts. Having a family from church actually have time after service to talk with you, not having to worry that they have to rush home as though church is a hassle (talking to you American church). Sitting down for coffee with friends, laughing and sharing our different cultures. Oh yes, there are those special moments.

In 2012 I was able to baptize Hana who is now with Jesus. Later I had the pleasure of baptizing a little girl Faven who has become our most faithful member over the last four years. Amanda and I have had the pleasure of celebrating birthdays, holidays and just normal days with our dear Ethiopian friends. Meeting a fellow missionary for a burger, movie night with he family, or playing games has become the norm. So many memories flood my mind.

You see, I love Ethiopia. I suppose you wouldn't know it at times and I can honestly say there have been moments that I have expressed to myself how frustrating it can be to live there, but I still love it. I love the sights, the sounds and the warmness of the beautiful people. I love coming together on Sunday mornings to worship Jesus as one body. And despite how much I love it, at times it overwhelms me.

Really, that is what the Christian life is all about. Paul talks in Galatians about the idea of the spirit and the flesh always battling it out, like a prized fight you are watching on a Saturday night. The Psalms are one giant rollercoaster of ups and downs. David will go on about how God has forsaken him, and then a few moments later he sings praises because God is his stronghold.

The encouraging thing is that it is not our fight anymore when we give our lives to Jesus. The Holy Spirit is battling for us against the flesh and no matter how many times life seems to knock us down, we can get up because of Jesus. So how does that translate to us today? Well, I would suppose I would tell you not to be so hard on yourself when you fall flat on your face. Then I would tell you to get back up, brush yourself off and thank God for the grace to keep going. I can testify that much like life in Ethiopia, a new day brings a new opportunity of growth.

Isn't that what it all about anyway, being more like Jesus?  Learning to be more Christlike through the ups and downs can happen anytime and anywhere...even the busy streets of Addis.

Oh how I miss that place...

sometimes.



1 comment:

jody said...

Yes. Exactly this!!